Monday, November 9, 2015

A Spirit of Gratitude

When I first started this blog I regularly posted things I was grateful for. The items on the weekly lists varied from heat on cold mornings to sweet excited puppy greetings to lazy evenings in with David. I tried hard to think of different items, but often had repeaters because they meant so much to me. I got away from that habit and in turn got away from thinking of things I was routinely grateful for. 

Fast forward to earlier this year when I read Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. It was a beautifully written book full of poetic musings from Voskamp and while it took me a while to get through (too much of her writing at one time hurt my brain!), I am very glad I did. I was able to take away from it the concept of "eucharisteo" and started to pause more in my day for moments of thankfulness.

Fast forward even more to present day when I am once again struggling to be grateful for my many blessings. I find it easy to be thankful when I am exposed to the less fortunate, but am not as quick to lift my arms in praise when caught up in the day to day. I find it hard to be thankful for a toddler's temper tantrum until I see a friend post on social media about her child who is so physically and mentally delayed this child will never lift her head on her own. And I'm complaining about my perfectly healthy child?!? Shameful.

Instead of allowing myself to get caught in the day to day I am going to be taking the time to write down 3-5 things/people/moment/events/etc I am grateful for every day. I am asking for your prayers to keep my mind and heart clear and focused on the Lord's blessings as I do this because we must remember. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment