Wednesday, June 24, 2015

You Know You're a Nurse's Kid. . .

The fact that our mom is a nurse has proven to be both helpful and harmful at times in our lives. Not harmful as in "we're all gonna die" but harmful as in "well, maybe we should have done something about that". If you have a parent in the medical field, I'm sure you can relate to one or two of these little tidbits. . .

You know you're a nurse's kid. . .

. . . if you can't make your own appointments
Straight up, I was spoiled. I didn't have to start making doctor's appointments for myself until I was 23 years old with an autoimmune disorder. My mama always used her connections across the greater Charlotte area to get us an appointment that day with the best of the best. That leads me to my next point. . .

. . . you're not good at waiting
If you follow me on Twitter you know for a fact I am not good at waiting for doctors. All my life I've just been whisked into the doctor's office without more than a minute wait. Now that I've been reduced to the life of a normal patient, I'm not sure I like it so much. Bring back my special treatment!

. . .you don't understand why you have to pay for a prescription
Don't these pharmacists know who you are?? Don't they know about all the free samples you grew up receiving??

. . .you rarely saw an actual doctor
 Whenever I felt I had an ailment of sorts I often heard "oh, you're fine" or "you think that's bad?" and "you should hear about what I saw today". Kind of made my throat tickle seem pathetic.

. . .you are a bit of a hypochondriac
This developed in part because of my previous point. I will admit that I am the first to go visit Dr. WebMD thanks to growing up hearing about everyone else's problems and how mine really weren't that bad. In fact my brother ran the mile-run in elementary school (more like hobbled) with a fractured foot. Needless to say I'm now convinced that if my arm so much as itches I should see a doctor.

Obviously I lived to tell the tales and was made stronger through my struggles, but life wasn't easy. Any other nurse's kids out there relate to my first world problems??

1 comment:

  1. I've got a nurse (well CRNA) husband... it's just the same. Free samples of random stuff make it home like creams, stiches, and surgical towels (they make great burp cloths!).

    ReplyDelete