Sunday, August 7, 2011

Knee Deep

Knee deep in the water somewhere
Got the blue sky breeze blowing wind through my hair
Only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair
Sunrise there's a fire in the sky
Never been so happy
Never felt so high
And I think I might have found me my own kind of paradise
-Zac Brown Band and Jimmy Buffett

First of all, my apologies for being MIA most of last week. Davido was home for the week and I wanted to spend as many possible moments as I could with him. Then, on Wednesday we hit the road and drove until the map turned blue. David's aunt and uncle have a place in Ocean Isle Beach and were kind enough to open their home to us for a few days. 

We arrived late Wednesday evening after a pretty short trip from Charlotte. The best part of the car ride? Getting the call from one of my very best friends that she is engaged!! We are so excited to share in this joyous occasion with Kelsey and Casey! 

The next morning we hit the beach with David's Aunt Debbie and cousin Cameron. True story, David is a big kid, one of the many reasons I adore this man. Too bad my big kid would much rather spend the day playing on the beach while I prefer to stick my toes in the sand and lose myself in a good book. Usually we compromise and spend time doing each other's favorite activities, but thanks to Cameron we both got enjoy our favorite parts of the beach-victory! A few hours out in the sunshine and my poor hubs was toasted. They headed back in while I spent another hour catching up on celebrity news and my tan. Bliss. 

That evening Debbie showcased her phenomenal cooking skills with a delicious beach supper of coconut shrimp (recipe to come here!), tomato pie (recipe to come here!), butter beans, and corn on the cob. After a day spent in the sunshine, we were ravenous and this certainly hit the spot! Let me tell ya, this sweet woman knows how to cook. I cannot tell you how many times I told her she needed to open a restaurant. I'll be the first in line when she does!

Unfortunately Hurricane Emily graced us with her presence on Friday. Downpours led me and Debbie to the local nail salon for a mani/pedi. Life is rough. It was the perfect treat for my tired feet. We then met David, his Uncle Jon, and Cameron at a local restaurant for lunch. If you ever head to OIB, take the time to eat at Sharky's. I promise you will not be disappointed! Even as big of eaters as David and I are, we split the Seafood Bog plate and couldn't finish it. Lots of delicious food!

Emily scooted away long enough on Saturday for us to hit the beach for a few more hours. We sprayed and lathered the sunscreen on David until he resembled Casper, and luckily it did its job. Poor kid just can't seem to keep the burn away! After a few more hours soaking up the rays we plugged in the iPod and set the cruise control back home. It was hard to say good bye after such a perfect weekend, but Debbie's open invitation to come back any time made it a bit easier. A few pictures from our weekend in paradise:

 Cam, Debbie, and David playing in the waves

 My handsome hubs pre-burn

 No better way to hydrate than with Sunkist, right?

Water creeping up on me


1 comment:

  1. So I was definitely at OIB last week too! We got back yesterday afternoon after an entire week there. Small world!

    ReplyDelete