Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Advice

I got a bit of a late start this morning thanks to a rough night's sleep. Nope, it wasn't Peanut's fault. It was the princess's fault. She thought it would be kind to jump on me in the middle of the night to keep me warm. I didn't think it was so kind. I proceeded to sleep in a bit and caught a very different radio show than I normally catch in the mornings. This morning the personalities were talking about advice you would give to an 18-year-old, because apparently today is "give advice to an 18-year-old" day. Who knew.

This had me pondering, what advice would I give to an newly minted adult if given the chance? Would I tell them to live it up before adulthood ties them down? Probably not because that just doesn't match my Type-A, Daisy-do-right personality. Would I tell them to buckle down and not take their opportunities for granted? Probably not, because who wants to be that stick in the mud. No, I think I would advise them to do what their heart leads them to do.

I think so many kids reach 18 and are suddenly thrown to the wolves. Pick this major, pay this bill, take care of this responsibility. It's a lot for someone who may be used to leaning on mom and dad for guidance and support. I'm not condoning codling our kids and therefore not preparing them for life. I'm just saying that maybe we should consider who we are talking to when we suddenly expect so much of someone. I think these kids should go where their hearts lead them, and not where their friends or families think they should go.

If you could give an advice to an 18-year-old, what advice would you give?? 

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd tell 18 year olds to definitely have a good time and enjoy these young years of adulthood, but to also remember that choices they make now WILL affect the rest of their lives. I know, I know-- it's a wishy-washy answer haha. But it's true! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd tell 18 year old self to get to know my mom better... I'd probably tell all 18 year olds that same thing.

    ReplyDelete