Thursday, January 29, 2015

Whole 30 Regress-Week 3

Does that say "regress"? Shouldn't it say "progress"?



You read it right the first time, folks, it says regress. As is, we went backwards not forwards on our goals. Please excuse me while I go hang my head in shame. I wish I could say it was just one moment of a mistake, but it was a few. You see, what had happened was. . . 

Thursday night I was making Whole30 compliant fish "tacos". I was so proud of myself for coming up with ways to make this recipe okay for us to eat and still taste good. We sat down to supper, enjoyed our tacos and each other's company. Bliss. Until David got up for seconds and looked at the salsa jar and realized there was sugar in it. *face in palm* Argh! I didn't even think to check! Rookie move! I was so caught up in not using tortillas and any dairy products that I didn't even think about the salsa. Tsk tsk.

Fast forward to Friday evening. David's mom generously offered to watch Amelia Grace so we could go on a date. For some reason we were really excited about this date night. Nothing really to celebrate, but we still wanted to do it up big. Dinner, movie, the whole shebang! Our go-to of Outback just didn't seem right. Our most favorite local restaurant was participating in Charlotte Restaurant Week so we headed over there. We were sucked into the good deal of three courses for $30 which included our favorite appetizer (a combination of pimento cheese and guacamole) and a dessert of peanut butter pie. And of course what date night isn't complete without a little local brew? Yea, folks, we didn't just fall off the wagon-the wagon tipped over and threw us off into a pile of delicious food.

Saturday morning we woke up with full intentions of hitching ourselves back to the wagon and continuing on. Then my sister, her boyfriend, and my mom came down to visit, so my brother and his wife came over as well. Before we knew it we had a rowdy game of Dominoes going and a good time was had by all! Adding to that good time were a few local craft beers from 201 Central. And what's a fun evening without a little dessert? Yea, it was badddddd. 

So, where are we in all of this? Good question. I am bummed we were only a week shy of our goal and we didn't make it, but does that mean we're tossing in the towel completely? Nope. We love the way we feel eating clean and that's not going to go away. We have learned a lot through this and I love how I've been stretched in the kitchen with the meal prep. Our lifestyle and way of viewing food has been altered significantly and for that I am thankful. We are going to continue on with it and keep eating as healthy and clean as we can. We are going to continue to steer clear of processed foods as much as we possibly can and only allow ourselves the occasional treat. 

Te he he, I feel like I've said this a zillion times. . .


2 comments:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself - I think two "cheat" meals in 3 weeks is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yall are still doing good though! I mean it was a date night after all, so it's ok to splurge ;)

    ReplyDelete