Sunday, April 17, 2011

Don't Worry, Be Happy

I do not consider myself much of a worrywart, but over the past few months I may have developed "worrywart" tendencies. I know I am wearing out the phrase "crazy time", but this really is a crazy time for us! We are officially fifteen days away from EOG's. To any and all teachers out there, prayers are coming your way! It is crunch time at school. All new material has been taught and we are reviewing everything they have learned in the past seven and a half months. Obviously this brings certain layers of stress and worry with it. I've actually done very well in moving beyond the stress aspect of it, but I still can't help but worry about "my" kids.

I worry about the ones who have struggled all year. I worry about those that have only passed one Quarterly Assessment (or none at all). I worry about those with test anxiety. I worry about those with focus issues. I worry about each and every child for some distinct reason.

In other news, we still aren't sure about David's work plan. His company has done the best they can up to this point to keep us informed, but even they don't know what the contracting company will decide. Every day it feels like we are an inch away from the finish line with a decision, and then it feels like we've been thrown miles back. I understand everyone is doing the best they can in this cuckoo economy, but this type-A planner needs some details! Should we plan for Alabama or should we start looking at houses around here? Should I look for a part-time summer job or should I plan on packing our lives? At this point, I'd just be happy to know when I'm going to see my husband again after our beach trip (HOORAY!!!!).

So, yea, I'm worrying about a lot right now. Today's sermon at Hope Church was all about worry and how we need to free ourselves from that worry through God. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I need to let go and let God take control of my life. Who cares where we are two months from now as long as we're together? My children will be uber prepared by the time the EOG's arrive so why do I let myself freak over something out of my control? Many of you are carrying similar burdens in your lives, but why? Why do we allow ourselves to be bogged down by these needless worry when God so graciously gave His only son so we would not have to?

Matthew 6:34 says, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." What do we need to do to live by this mentality? While I'm working on enacting this in my own life, I'd love to help you do this same in yours! 

Worry is like a rocking chair-it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment