Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thankful Thursday-Stars and Stripes

Well if you ask me where I come from
Here's what I tell everyone
I was born by God's dear grace
In an extraordinary place
Where the stars and stripes and the eagle fly
-Aaron Tippin

This week started off a bit different than most others; the world received the news that Osama bin Laden had been killed. I got chills the second I heard the news. I remember sitting in Mrs. Vey's 8th grade LA class watching the news coverage of the attacks on September 11, 2001. I remember seeing the planes crash into the World Trade Centers over and over again in complete shock. To hear that the mastermind between those horrible images was dead was a chilling feeling. Almost eleven years later and I still can't shake the strange feeling I felt that day. Now, I didn't know anyone who died and I'd never lived in New York or walked past those buildings. At that point in my life I'd never even flown on an airplane. But I still felt it deep down. I can't imagine the pain the families of those lost felt and I hope that these recent events add some closure to their tragic tales. 

This news reminds me of all that I have to be thankful for because you never know when it could be ripped out from under you. 

*the American soldier*
(We are free because of the brave)
*my students*
(their humor and resilience in tough situations in inspiring)
*lost giftcards*
(it's like finding free money at the bottom of your purse!)
*Mommas*
(they are wonderful. The end.)
*fresh fruit*
(I snagged some strawberries from a local stand and they are delish!)


No comments:

Post a Comment