Saturday, October 8, 2011

Let the Fun Continue!

Well first of all, you guys are all awesome.  I mean, I know I'm a great blogger, but I'm glad you guys got to experience it!

So, last night we had a little adventure.  Lauren was instructed to lay in bed for 6 hours after her procedure.  So, of course, right at 5:59:59 we decide that she can now get up to try and use the restroom (remember, she's retaining all this water).  Well, as I go to get the nurse, my sweet wife decides to blackout.  I can honestly tell you it's the first time in my life when "cave-men"-like tenancies took over and I went into "protect my wife" mode.

A nurse came in, snapped her out of it, and got her back with us.  Her eyes were extremely dialated and they proceeded to check all her vitals.  All in all, she was maybe out for 10-20 seconds, although it felt like eternity.

They checked her vitals, all seemed ok, but they wanted to perform a CT scan to see if she had any internal bleeding.  The scan took  all of 2 minutes and we went back to our room to wait for the results.

The nurse came in to inform us that she did have internal bleeding, but that it was very minimal and nothing abnormal considering the circumstances.  She also informed us that her lunges were apparently "being lazy" and that she needed to focus on taking deep breaths to expand her lunges.  She then said it was ok for Lauren to doze off, but that nurses would be in every 4 hours or so to check in on her status / vitals.

Needless to say, I decided to stay up for a while to make sure everything went back to normal.  The sweet nurses provided me with a cot (otherwise I would have been sleeping on the floor with a sleeping bag), and I tried to doze off around 11:30.

2 hours later and I was still awake, but then we remembered that Lauren's phone has a "white noise" app!  Listen, Lauren and I are really spoiled and we can't sleep if we don't have a fan running, so just take it easy, ok?

So I turned on the app, and we dozed off and on until about 7am when they did labs and 9:30 when the doctor came in.  He informed us that her numbers looked good, but all things considered, he wanted her to stay through the day.  Unfortunately, this kind doctor would also be visiting other hospitals and wouldn't be able to return tonight to discharge her.  Therefore, my beautiful wife and I will be enjoying college football together in the room, staying the night, and hopefully discharged tomorrow morning!

She's feeling much better, has lost swelling of the water, and has regained color in her complexion.  Quite honestly, we could probably have left this morning or this afternoon, but staying another night is probably a good idea considering our adventure last night.

Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers, and we'll keep you updated!

Until next time, I leave you with my favorite quote:
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once and a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Beuller


Go Gators, Tigers (Clemson), and Pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment