Monday, January 28, 2013

Avoiding Isolation

Isolated is a dangerous place to find yourself. In December our pastor preached on the temptations that exist when you isolate yourself from community and other believers. I nodded along, took my notes, but didn’t think much about it. I mean, heck, everything was going well for me. Fast forward a few weeks and I was faced with a situation that sent me into an isolation mode.

After everything that happened I didn’t want to be around others. I didn’t want any one near me but David and my mom. An introvert by nature, this shouldn’t have been surprising. While I love being around people, I recharge in quiet settings. An afternoon with a book, or an evening in with a small group of friends is much more up my alley than a big night out. I do enjoy going out and spending time with others, but there is a time and place for everything.

Once David went back to work and I was alone again, I no longer wanted to be alone. For the first time in my entire life I craved the energy of others to help me recharge. I made a point to schedule an “adventure” for every day. I met with friends and family for lunch, scheduled a massage (glorious), and found myself at the local coffee shop working. This was new to me. I wasn’t used to needing to fill my hours with the energy of others.

It quickly dawned on me the significance of community. My wonderful husband continually preaches on the beauty community can bring to your life, but like the isolation sermons, I tuned it out because I felt “okay”. Why is it that so often we need such large eye-opening experiences to be reminded of God’s design for us?

In the recent weeks my soul has been exposed to the wonderful way God works through the support and love of our community. They have lessened our burdens in such amazing ways and come around us in such a beautiful way. It is clear God is working in them and we are immensely thankful. We were created for this type of community-to love those around us. The path of isolation that exists in this world is a dangerous one to follow, and just as we are called to love God we should love each other.

While it will not always be easy, I know I must constantly avoid the treacherous engulfment of isolation. I must make a point to ask others for help if I need it and not exhaust myself (physically and emotionally) by seeking independence. He beautifully crafted us to seek one another to lean on and I must learn to follow His plan for me.

So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.
-John 13:34-35

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely identify - I did not want to be left alone for probably about a month! You'll be able to enjoy alone time again soon, I promise!

    ReplyDelete