Monday, October 7, 2013

Quick Winston Weekend

This past weekend I popped on over to Winston Salem for a quick trip. Mama asked me to run a 5K with her on Saturday morning so I headed up there on Friday afternoon after school let out. I was excited about the race, but even more excited to meet this little princess:


Meet Shanti, my parent's new pup. Mom rescued her from the Wautaga Animal Shelter last weekend when she was up visiting Mandy and Abby. Apparently she'd had her eye on Shanti for a while and when they went to the shelter they determined it was meant to be! Daddy named her Shanti, which means "peace" in Sanskit. I want everyone to take a quick moment to appreciate the irony of this name because our family, and this newest addition, are anything but peaceful!! 

She may have an abundance of energy but she is one of the sweetest little loves I have every met. She may jump right on top of you, but it's not because she's trying to attack, or even play, she just wants your love and attention. Take a look at the following pictures for evidence:

She starts sitting upright, kinda leaning against ya

Then she puts her entire weight onto you

And she ends up on the floor/in your lap

Enough about Shanti.  Onto the race! The next morning we woke up bright and early for the Athena Warrior Race benefitting Gyn Cancers. Mama did it last year and knew she wanted to do it again. Despite waking up extra early and the race being less than 5 minutes from Mama and Daddy's house, we still got there just before the race. 

Hellooooo and good morning

Mama had mentioned the night before that the "MapMyRun" App wasn't working properly with ios7. I didn't know anything about that because most of my runs are on the treadmill. I brushed it off and figured it would be fine. Not so much. According to my app I ran half a mile and it took me almost 24 minutes to do it in. Hmmm. I sure hope they figure that out soon! The race results said I finished in 23:47 and paced a 7:43 mile. Certainly not my best, but I did finish 3rd in my age group!

Getting my medal

Mama did well, but didn't PR either. No biggie, we all have those races. After the race they had a decent sized health and wellness expo with lots of freebies and information. Mama and I each got a a 5 minute massage along with a "teal-tini" (blue Gatorade in a plastic martini glass) and a slice of cake. No wonder Mama wanted to do this race again this year! My next race is the Trails for Trails 5k trail run. Hopefully it will be better than this one!


2 comments:

  1. I tried out Map My Run, but I like Run Keeper better! That's just me though ;) The pup is TOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still had great time, that's awesome! We are in winston too and around this time of year it seems like there is a 5k every weekend! Guess I should do one hah.

    ReplyDelete