Tuesday, December 4, 2012

We Play for Keeps!

Have you ever heard of CrossFit? I hadn't either until this past April when it invaded David's workout regimen, and thus our lives as well. The concept (at least what I understand it to be, though I'm sure my husband will correct me!) is in order to become the best you have to constantly vary your workout and challenge yourself to do different things. There is a Workout Of the Day (WOD) every day with different exercises. You try to do as many repetitions of those exercises in a certain amount of time. It is very competitive, which is one of the reasons David loves it so much.

He was introduced to this phenom by a friend of his at work, and has since got into incredible shape. It does all of this from our garage since it is pretty costly to frequent a "box", or gym. Before I go any further I must tell you that this is SO not my cup of tea. His grunts and shouts during the workout, and extreme exhaustion following it, are not my idea of a good time. He loves it though, so CrossFit will continue to be a part of the Mobley vocabulary.

All of that mumbo jumbo leads me to our Saturday morning-his first competition! The local minor league hockey tea was hosting it as a benefit for the Wounded Warriors Project. He had to see how many calories he could burn rowing for a minute, then he would see how many shoulder presses he could get in a minute (with 75 pounds), then take a 30-second rest, then do as many ball slams he could get in a minute (weighing 30 pounds), then do as many kettle bell swings (weighing 35 pounds) as he could in a minute. That was one round. He did this three times for time. It was intense to watch. Here are some pictures from our adventure:

He checked out the competition by counting for another competitor. 

Assessing the ball slam challenge.

Swing that kettle bell!

Last round of shoulder presses

Absolutely exhausted.

And my favorite picture of the day. . . 
Believe it or not this guy started off fully clothed and ended up in just his underroos by the end of it! The best part? His Mulan-looking ponytail on top.

Will I ever do this? Never say never, but it's not likely. I like to be in shape, but I'm not a big fan of my thighs crushing others to death as many of the women at the competition looked like. I may be singing a different tune after Peanut is born, but for now I'll leaving the intensity to David!

No comments:

Post a Comment