Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Quiet

As many of you know we are in the season of Lent. Every year for as long as I can remember I have given something up. Typically, I pick something that I know I will miss during the 40 days. I always give my reasoning as, Jesus sacrificed His life for us so I will sacrifice something that is important to me. I was under the impression that my worldly sacrifice was equal to the sacrifice He made for us. How much farther could I get from the truth? It wasn't until I attended an Ash Wednesday service at Vintage21 Church in Raleigh, NC that my eyes were really opened to the truth. We should not deprive ourselves of things to make up for anything, instead we should use this season to focus on His sacrifice and His gracious love. This year, over the next 40 days, I am going to silence the world around me and let things be quiet.

I spend a lot of time on my computer or interacting with some form of technology. I am so often caught up in this wonderful tool that I forget just that, that it is a tool. I've always used the thirty minute drive to work as a "quiet time" with God. I turn off all sources of distraction and talk to Him. I am now continuing this, but also taking it to the next level. Whenever I am in my car I am going to turn off the radio and just listen. Instead of doing all the talking, I will be shutting everything else up and letting Him talk to me.

The purpose of the season of Lent is not to become cranky because you're denying yourself caffeine or chocolate. How does that bring you closer to Him? Jesus suffered a trial greater than anything we could ever imagine and we are blessed enough to not have to. What are you doing to draw closer to Him?

Updates to come over the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment