Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thankful Thursday-Beautiful Ride

Life ain't always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride

I really enjoy taking the time each week to sit down and truly acknowledge what I am thankful for. It's amazing how easy it is for us to complain about the difficult things in life and completely forget to thank God for the blessings he has bestowed upon us. Today was especially difficult. We are entering a very stressful season in schools-testing season. In a few short weeks, our children will be tested on the knowledge they have gained over the course of the year. As a preparation, and way of measuring our teaching, the students complete assessments at the end of each quarter. We are in the midst of that right now. I was fortunate enough to have my subject tested first and already know my students' results. I've noticed that I go through a cycle of emotions each quarter. It goes like this:

excited to be done!
pleased with growth
recognition of the weaknesses
stress as I compare to other scores/classes
depression
freak-out as to how to fix what I originally thought was great
game plan of how to get more growth
enact game plan

The order may change/repeat itself (depression seems to jump in between almost every step), but you get the general idea. I experienced the freak-out this afternoon, and am currently working towards creating the game plan. This is why today was especially difficult. I felt like I was at my rope's end. It was after a long walk and talk with God that I realized what I needed to do-whatever my students need me to do. It doesn't matter how stressed I get or how much rides on this, what matters is whatever my students need for me to do to help them! 

Here is this week's thankful thoughts:

*my Community Group*
*the weekend and my sisters' impending visit!*
*the feeling that comes from finishing a good book*
*cookies with M&M's inside*
*leftovers that get better after a day or two in the fridge*


No comments:

Post a Comment