Monday, November 7, 2011

Too Sweet For Words

It's been a few weeks since I've updated y'all on my deteriorating body, so I figured you were due to hear all about it. Try to contain your excitement. Without further adieu, here goes. . .

About a week and a half ago I started getting a nasty cough in my chest. I didn't really have any stuffiness or congestion, just a really nasty cough. We're talking I would have to pause the conversation and bend over to hack my lungs up. No bueno. I tried to rest and drink tea that weekend in hopes it would pass on its own. No such luck. That Thursday I headed to the doctor to get the verdict: bronchitis. Awesome.

He quickly prescribed a miracle drug, aka a z-pack, and prepared to send me on my merry way. But, alas, things are never that easy in real life. He said he was pleased with how I was progressing (the steroids seem to be working!) and hoped that by the time I finished the round in another four weeks I'd be good to go. He then asked how I was feeling. This is when I should have kept my big fact mouth shut. Instead, I chose to open it and mention how thirsty I have been recently. His response, "hmm". With that he ordered me to pee in a cup (we hold nothing back here at the merry mrs. mobley).

After a few minutes of catching up with the Momma and the other nurses he came back in with the diagnosis. Apparently I am now slightly diabetic thanks to the steroids. Superb. He told me my levels weren't crazy enough to require insulin (thank God!) but that I would need to watch what I ate. Those of you who have been keeping up with this saga know that I'm currently on a low-sodium, low happiness diet as it is. Now he wants to throw in low-carb as well?!? Just take away any and all fun in my life why don't ya. He handed me a blood sugar tester and sent me home.

Funny story, this whole blood sugar tester thingy-ma-jig is one complicated contraption and I still haven't figured out how to work it. I'm currently taking Skype appointments with whoever is patient enough to teach me about this thing. It shouldn't be rocket science!

It's been a few days and an adjustment, but I'm getting there. The hardest part has been the evenings when all I want is a sweet treat. I have serious issues with denying myself sweets. Just look at my Foodie page-the majority of recipes are sweets! I'm open to any and all suggestions of ways to adjust my recipes so I don't lose my mind.

Continued thanks for the prayers and support. According to all the doctors I'm on the road to a full recovery! I couldn't have done this without all the kind words and help from y'all :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment