Monday, July 16, 2012

Guest Post-The Sweeter Side of Life

 Hello one and all! Today I have the wonderful Heather stopping by and sharing some of her favorite things about summer vacation, a topic very near and dear to this teacher's heart;-) We met many moons ago and I am so excited to be able to keep in touch with this sweet girl through blogging!

Hi everyone! I’m Heather and most of the time you’ll find me over in my own little corner of the the blogging world at The Sweeter Side of Life. Today, however, I’m writing my first guest post for Lauren while she’s on vacation! 


Lauren and I met during a class at NC State, where we were both studying middle school education. Though I never left the Raleigh area, I also got married the summer after graduation and will be starting my 3rd year of teaching middle school Science this fall. Some people think we’re crazy for teaching middle school, but I absolutely love my job and couldn’t have chosen a more fitting path. And one of the best perks about being a teacher? Summer vacation! Like many beginning teachers, I find it easy to lose myself in my work and get overwhelmed in the craziness of the school year, so the summer is the perfect time to unwind, relax, and do some things for myself. Today, I’m going to tell you a little bit about how I make the most of my summer vacation!  

1st things 1st: Spend lots of times with friends and family, especially my wonderful husband! My husband puts up with so much during the school year that I almost don’t know what to do with all this time together! And being able to make plans with friends on a whim, or travel a couple hours to see family without having to be back for work on Monday, is beyond wonderful. I definitely see a girl’s night in my near future. Smile 
 Group 2045-edited015-dusked  

2nd up: Work on my fitness. I’ve always enjoyed being active, though during the school year I haven’t been sticking with it like I should. This summer though? I’m sticking with it! Running, workout videos, and the hubby and I even went swimming this morning. Forcing myself to get up with the sun early-ish and workout makes me feel more productive throughout the day, and it prevents me from sleeping the day away in bed. 

IMG_20120709_090331  
3rd on my list: Catch up on my reading. I’ve got an entire list of books that I’d love to get through by the time summer is over, and while it might be a little ambitious, at least it’s a goal! I love to read and I firmly believe that no pool, lake, beach, or couch is complete without a good book close by. My current undertaking? The Hunger Games series (yes, I know, I’m a little behind on this one). 

The-Hunger-Games-trilogy-books-to-read-18660713-600-279  
4th: My crafts! This is definitely a personal favorite that I unfortunately don’t make time for enough during the school year. While I am by no means an artist (my sister gets all of that credit), I do like to dabble in little crafty projects here and there, scrapbooking being my biggest one. I started scrapbooking when Greg and I started dating and just haven’t been able to stop since. Now that I’m teaching, summer has become my time to catch up on scrapbooking from the previous year. Sorting through endless photos and shopping for cute stickers will definitely keep me busy for a few days. And now thanks to Pinterest, I’ve got a lot more ideas and things I’ve tried or want to try. Creating fridge magnets is my newest project and a few things on my to-do list for the summer include creating a small terrarium, refashioning old t-shirts, and repainting a clay flower pot we inherited. 

034013 (2)  

5th but surely not final: Travel! With summer vacation comes trips; whether to the beach, another state, or somewhere tropical, it’s always nice to just get away for a few days. Our destination of choice this summer? Our family’s lake house! Last summer we traveled out west to San Fransisco, and two summers ago we honeymooned in The Dominican Republic, so this summer we decided to keep it fairly local and simple. The lake is only a little over an hour from our house and we’ve already been a few times this summer, with friends and with family. You just can’t beat soaking up sun on the dock or floating around in the cool water! Just what this teacher needed for a little R&R this summer. Smile 

 004028 

While my list could go on about things I fill my summer with, I think I’ll stop there for now. Feel free to stop by and visit my own blog if you’d love to hear more about how my summer is going! Thank you so much to Lauren for sharing her space with me; have fun at the beach!! 
 ~Heather
 005 (2)

Many thanks again to Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment