Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Phases

I think we all go through phases. When you're a kid the phases are much more pronounced than when you're an adult, at least that's how it was in our house. One of us would latch onto something and hold real tight for a long while. As we all aged we still went through different phases, but we became more routine in our likes and dislikes and didn't waver as much.

I'm in a phase. Specifically, a food phase. I go through these all the time. I eat something one time, and then I'm hooked for good chunk of time. A few food phases I've been through:
  • Yogurt: My sophomore year of high school I ate at least one container of yogurt a day-I kid you not. Yoplait was my particular fave, but man oh man could I devour some yogurt. 
  • French Toast: Throughout high school I swam competitively for a local team. If any one of you has ever swam on a regular basis you know that hunger comes along with the workout. Every day after practice I would come home and dig into two or three pieces of french toast. If it weren't for having the swim practices to balance it out I may have ballooned to the size of a house.
  • Ice Cream: Another high school thang. One summer the Teeter (Harris Teeter for all you Yankees) had Breyer's ice cream buy two get three free. Being the massive family that we are, my momma bought all five. It only lasted about a week and a half with all of us there, but I was hooked. I then insisted on eating ice cream every evening. How I did not blow up in a puff fish I'll never know (must have been that beautiful 17-year-old metabolism that I didn't appreciate as much as I should have! Metabolism, if you're listening, I promise to be much nicer if you give me a second go-around). 
  • Toasted Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches: This one came about in college. Being the poor college kids we were, our apartment had massive amounts of PB&J (and beer, but lemme just tell ya beer and PB&J are a no-go). One day I had a hankerin' so I fixed myself two pieces of toast, spread the peanut butter across both, then the jelly across both and BAM-delicious-o! This one is still a favorite treat of mine when I'm craving protein and gobs of fat. 
Now, I'm sure you're all dying to know the latest phase. Te he he, I know I crack myself up too. Since Davido has been gone I haven't been making very many meals. It just seems pointless when it's me and the dog (though I'm sure she'd just absolutely die and go to heaven if I fixed her up a plate of my supper). Right now we have a tie of quick and easy meals. My go-to item is either a turkey wrap with hummus (nom nom) or a cheese quesadilla. Both of which are cheap and super easy to make!

I have no doubt that all y'all think I am crazy right now. Let me let you in on a little secret. . . I am! :-) But I bet that many of y'all have your own little "phases" of things, my phases just happen to be foods-go figure. So tell me, what phases are you going through??

No comments:

Post a Comment