Monday, June 20, 2011

To Teach Is To Learn

I've been putting this post off for a few weeks now. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's because writing this means it's over, and I hate when something wonderful has to end. I have been blessed in more ways than I count this past year. I was hired to teach in a highly competitive school and placed in a very strong department on an incredible team. How many new teachers can say those things? Not many.

I was welcomed with open arms by a "family" of teachers, many of who have spent their entire teaching careers here. These people are not just any teachers. They are men and women who spend hours and hours of their evenings and weekends putting the kids ahead of themselves. That is true dedication. These people offered me support when things got tough and teaching supplies when my they realized I was starting from scratch. They also looked out for me during all those hard winter months when things got stressful around the school and my husband was states away. It doesn't get much better than that.


The kids are a whole other story of awesome. Of course some of them stressed me out (honestly, they're in middle school; it's their job to stress the teachers out), but overall we had a stellar group of kids. They gave us their best day in and day out, and that is really all a teacher can ask for. Not to mention, they made going to work fun! I'm sure Davido could have done without all the stories of the crazy things they said and did, but it made going to work worth it.


Things weren't always peachy. I'm sure you remember the numerous posts during those previously mentioned winter months. If you know any teachers then you're very aware of the January to Spring Break stress. This a time with few breaks and long hours of preparing for testing. Those of us in education help stimulate the local Starbucks and ABC stores during this trying time. We made it through though, and are better because of it. 


All in all I had a superb first year of teaching. I am so grateful to all the people who made it possible and I cannot wait to spend a lifetime doing this!


Every student can learn, just not on the same day, or the same way.
-- George Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment