Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Time Spent in the Word

These past few weeks our church has been doing a series on the End Times. It has been an eye-opening experience each Sunday as we dive deeper into the Lord's word and the things he prophesied. One of the things our pastor challenged us to do was spend more time in the Word. I used to be really good at this. I'd set aside time each afternoon/early evening and dive into a different book of the Bible. Oddly enough as I found myself with more time on my hands this summer, I've spent more time away from my personal reading. I am ashamed at the excuses I was making up in my head. There was no reason for it whatsoever. After Sunday's sermon I made a pledge to myself to not allow those excuses to take presidence over my personal study.

I have always found this time to be peaceful. I feel so rested and relaxed after reading and pondering what the Lord has to say. Which is why it's strange to me that I got away from it so easily. If it provides me with such a wonderful sense of grace, then why do I make excuses? Because the devil has made his way into my life. Because the devil wins each time I say no. Once I really thought about all these things and discovered how ashamed I was of my failure, I realized I wasn't going to let it continue.

While it's not much, I have spent some wonderful time in the Word these past two days. I am currently reading Matthew and loving the truth that is spoken by Jesus in every verse. I feel much more at peace with life, and myself, now that I have recommitted to this. Not to mention the teaching that I am receiving from the Lord is saving me time and time again from the temptations around me.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
-Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment