Monday, July 18, 2011

Date Night

Whenever you begin a new relationship you take the time to go on all sorts of different dates in an effort to get to know the person. Why does that have to change when you get married? So often we allow the outside stresses in our lives to interrupt our marriage. I know that in the short time we've been married, many worldly things have attempted to make their way into ours (I think we can all recall those crazy/stressful/hellacious months that kicked off 2011). It's a battle to keep the bad out. But that's one of the things that makes marriage so wonderful, the opportunity to continue to learn about, and fight for, your spouse.

David and I are HUGE proponents of date nights. Even though we don't have kids yet, there are still tings that keep us busy. Carving out that time once a week helps us continue to learn things about each other. People never stop growing and changing, so why not make the effort to get to know them as that happens? I love knowing that I get to grow and change with my studly husband, and I am excited to get to learn these things as they happen.

Now, don't get me wrong, date nights don't have to be an extravagant event week in and week out. Sometimes it can be an entire evening out on the town, and other times it can be a few simple hours out of the house. Here are some of our favorite date night ideas:
  • Dinner and a movie: an oldie, but a goodie. And, with Living Social and Groupon you can often get dinner at an uber discounted price!
  • Breakfast dates: Panera Bread and Crack-o Barr-o (or Cracker Barrel for those of you over 4 years old) are two of our favorites. Breakfast is often cheaper than lunch or dinner and can be just as yummy!
  • Ice cream and the mall: Living as close as we do to the mall this happens quite often. Not to mention, with my sweet tooth dessert is a must!
  • Pizza, beer, and a movie: You don't even have to leave the house for this one! Take it from a run-of-the-mill evening to a special night by turning off all phones and computers and just being. It can be just as wonderful as going out, I promise.
Everyone's idea of date night can be different, but as long as you are making time for your spouse that's all that counts. I know this can often be difficult with budgets (I'm a babysitter, I know how much that can cost!) and schedules, but it's important to show your spouse that they are worth the effort. What kinds of things do y'all do on your date nights??
 
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
-Ephesians 5:21

No comments:

Post a Comment