Thursday, July 14, 2011

Running (Wo)Man

I have a confession . . . I kinda, sorta, sometimes like to run. There, I said it. Whew. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hardcore, run 10 miles a day kind of gal and it's not likely that I'll ever be. I totally still scoff and groan when people admit to running 20 miles a day (really?!? Who has that kind of time/focus any way?!), but now I understand how they get going. I'm perfectly content with my few miles a day. It's exactly what I need.

I've always like staying in shape and from age six until high school I used swimming to get there. Then, my junior year I hurt my rotator cuff and quickly figured out the pool was no longer going to be my outlet. I needed something new. Our neighborhood at the time had a greenway and that became my place. I'd head out there after school or early in the morning before work in the summer (I'm a morning workout chick all the way). While at State I found Lake Johnson trail and that quickly became my new space. It was close to the sorority house, and very close to David's apartment, so I could never use the excuse of it being too far. After graduation I was forced to start using a treadmill, and I learned it wasn't so horrible. I do prefer the backdrop of outdoor running trails, but a little HGTV while running ain't too shabby either.

I'm never going to run a crazy full-on marathon, heck running an entire 5k would put me over the moon. And, please don't ask me to run with you. It's not you, it's me. Running is my me-time. I get in my zone and go. Anyone else around would put me unto uber anxiety mode. This is what I imagine my brain would be like on a group run, "do I run funny? Am I going to fast? Too slow? When are we stopping? Should I be talking? Should I shut up?" etc, etc. This completely defeats the purpose. But now I get why people do that. I get the point of it, and maybe one day I'll work up the courage to get there too. Until then, I'm happy doing my solo running thang.

Perhaps this confession will just what I need to push myself to the next level. I'm currently working on my endurance and stance. Considering I was a swimmer I have, like, negative endurance. It just ain't there. As soon as I poop out, I quit. Gotta work on not being so lame. In regards to my stance, I need to fix it, oh yesterday. I look ridiculously funny while I run, which is another reason to avoid running with other people like the plague. Any and all suggestions on these goals would be appreciated, and who knows, maybe I'll see you out running!

No comments:

Post a Comment