Tuesday, April 30, 2013

So You Had a Bad Day

I had a bad day.

Every so often we have a day that knocks us off our feet. A day that leaves you curled up in ball crying. I had one of those days recently. 
I won't bore you with the details, but just know it was one of those days that knocked the wind out of me. It seemed that every time I tried to do something, the universe tried to stop me. It felt like every moment I tried to catch my breath and return to normalcy, I was punched in the gut again. Physically, I was present. Emotionally, I was riding a roller coaster.

It was towards the end of this day that David came to check on me and I lost it. I couldn't stop crying. I'd held it together for so long that was I let myself go a little, I couldn't stop the emotions from pouring out. He sat there and listened and once he realized I was calming down, he helped me talk through it. He asked the right questions that got me thinking. He challenged me on where God was in my thought process. It was hard, but it was good.

I had a bad day, but I do not have a bad life.

I don't know about y'all but I can get stuck dwelling in the negative. If one thing happens to hit me hard, it becomes very difficult to recover. It's one of those "take two steps forward, one step back" things. It took some discussion and prayer for me to remember how truly blessed I am. No matter how rough things get in one day, or even a month or year, it's just a blip on the radar. God has blessed us so much and these few bad days are nothing compared to what it could be. His sacrifice on the cross promises us that the pain of this place is only temporary, and for that I am grateful.

Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
- Luke 6:21

No comments:

Post a Comment