Thursday, February 28, 2013

Bedside Table

If you've been here for a while you know I'm a big reader. I am a READING teachers after all! My parents kick started this passion young in life, and it has continued since then. I literally cannot fall asleep at night until I have read something-a book, magazine, Twitter, anything! When I was a wee one I had trouble keeping up with more than one book at a time, but as I've aged, so have my multi-tasking abilities. At this current moment I have seven books on my bedside table that I am in the process of reading. Yes, seven. Here is a look. . .



Rumble Fish by S.E. Hinton
She graced us with The Outsiders, and so I've made it a point to try to read everything she has written. I mean if you can pump out at classic as a teenager then you've got some talent.

Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals
This young adult book about the Civil Rights Movement came highly recommended by a teacher friend. I've had it for about a month, but am looking forward to diving in!

New Day, New You by Joyce Meyer
This gem was gifted to me by a sweet friend at church. She brought over supper one evening and a stellar goodie bag full of pampering items, including this devotional. It truly does pamper the soul and I look forward to keeping up with it daily this year.

Noah's Rainbow by David Fleming
My mom's cousin's wife (keeping up?) sent me this book following the loss of Emerson. They had lost a baby at 20 weeks and she found this book helpful. The author is a writer for ESPN.com and lives in Charlotte! He and his wife had a perfectly normal pregnancy, but due to a placental eruption lost their baby boy (Noah) the day they were set to give birth. A very emotional book that has offered me some help and insight.

Two Kisses For Maddy by Matthew Logelin
I found this at the local used bookstore and thought it would be a good read. It's by a man who lost his wife only moments after their daughter, Maddy, was born. Tear jerker all the way.
Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster
Have you ever read anything by this hysterical woman? If the answer is no, then scurry over to amazon.com to pick up her collection. Everything she writes will have your belly aching from laughter. This is her second novel, but she's written a few nonfiction pieces chronicling her life's mishaps. 
Connect by Nelson Searcy
Our pastor recommended this to me as a way to open our ministry team's eyes to ways to love our volunteers. I'm excited to see how this can grow our volunteer base to glorify Him.
What's on your bedside table?

3 comments:

  1. I just got a Kindle Fire for my birthday and have been looking for book recommendations! I will have to check some of these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wohoo. I have done good. I have read one book each month so far. I hope to keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like good books for me ot add to my want to read list!

    ReplyDelete