Saturday, April 14, 2012

I'm A Big Girl Now

Oh, home ownership, how the fun never ends! I love, love, love our house and all the extra that comes with living in a house versus living in an apartment. I realize how incredibly blessed we are to be in the position we are in, but (there's always a "but") can I get an AMEN on the extra that comes with living in a house versus an apartment?!? One of those big extras happens to be yard work.

I actually enjoy working in the yard in a certain capacity. Emphasis on certain capacity. I enjoy weeding the flower beds. I enjoy planting flowers. I enjoy tackling the monstrous weeds that grow in our pitiful little yard. I do not enjoy mowing the lawn and I can say that with full confidence now because this grown-up just mowed the lawn for the first time. That's right folks, I mowed the lawn for the very first time. I'm still patting myself on the back for this feat.

Let me preface the whole situation by saying this-I never had the mow the lawn growing up. Two brothers and a daddy who takes pride in a pretty yard prevented this from ever occurring. Thank God. I had negative interest in it. You should have seen my sweet husband's face when he learned of this. You'd of thought I just declared myself queen of all the land. It's not that I've ever thought I was too good to do it, I just never had to.

Fast forward to being a grown-up and living in a house. Our pitiful (emphasis on pitiful) little lawn has started to grow. Due to unforeseen circumstances, David couldn't mow the lawn. I informed him I had no intention of picking up this hobby now. I even offered to spend my own "fun money" on hiring someone to do it. You heard that right. I was willing to sacrifice a month of weekly Starbucks treats for someone else to take on this task. He conceded and we started the search for someone else to do it.

I asked my brother who lives close by and apparently college students actually enjoy having a life and he was too busy to do it. I asked the neighbor kids and none of them could do it. I even tried to get my sweet daddy to drive an hour to come do it, but his own house to-do list took precedence. It looked like I was going to have to conquer this beast all by myself.

I am proud to say that yesterday afternoon I beasted our little yard. It wasn't easy (I may have slipped on our hill a few times) and it wasn't pretty (who really needs "lines" in the yard anyway?!) but I did it! I think it is safe to say that as soon as David is able to do it again, he will. My fear of having to do this on a regular basis is not likely to be fulfilled when he sees the ragamuffin job I did.

I know this seems silly, but I am so proud of myself. I feel like such a big kid! Any of y'all ever conquer some silly little task?! PS- I totally treated myself with a large bowl of ice cream. Hey, I earned it with that workout;-)

4 comments:

  1. way to go! i bet it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mowed my lawn the first time last summer when my husband was sick. Our grass was so tall our little dachshund was getting lost in it. I felt the exact same way when I was done! Congrats girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I agree with you 100%. There are lots of extras that come with a home versus an apartment - good extras and bad extras. Yard work is a huge extra...and I guess the bigger the yard, the bigger the "extra." I've never mowed the lawn either. My daddy always took care of it and now my husband does. Honestly, if something ever came up and I HAD to mow it, I probably would not. Haha. I'd try my best to overlook it as much as possible. But, kudos to you! Pat away on your back, girl!

    On another note, fun money? You guys put fun money in your budget? That's awesome... how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha go you! That is something to be proud of(:

    ReplyDelete