Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Surgery? Um, OK

That was my exact response to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday morning. I need surgery? Um, OK. Let me back up and start the story from the beginning. . .

A little over two months ago I started getting a bit of a sore spot on my foot. Well, the sore spot grew and it grew and it grew. I saw my general physicians who took some x-rays. He determined it was benign and that it was likely caused by overuse and the thinning of my bones due to the steroids for my kidneys. The steroids strike again! He prescribed some antibiotics and I was on my way.

Two weeks later it was still there and the pain was getting worse. Ugh. I called The Momma, who moonlights as a nurse when she's not a momma to the Wardlets, who suggested I see the orthopedic doctor for his opinion. This brings us to yesterday. It took him less than five minutes to diagnose it as a fatty cyst that needed to go. Fun. I met with his scheduling nurse who told me it looked like it would be a few weeks until he could fit me in. While this would be after our trip to the beach with the hubby's family, it would also be right before my school district's summer conference at which I am presenting. Crutching around during a presentation? No, thank you! I went out on a limb and asked if she had any appointments open for the next day, even though it was super short notice. I was in luck-there had been a cancellation!

That brought us to today and this:

Lovely, right? My surgery was scheduled for 10:45, which meant they wanted us there at 9:15 for prep and such. We met with multiple nurses, the anesthesiologist, the orthopedic doctor, and others over the course of an hour and a half. A little before 11 they injected a concoction of drugs into my IV and things got spotty from there. I don't remember rolling down the hall, but I remember looking at some lights in a different room. The next thing I know I'm groggily being woken up by a nurse asking if I want a drink. Huh? I glance down and I have a lovely wrap around my foot.

 No, I wasn't on any meds at all

I was still pretty groggy for the next bit. I don't remember David coming in, but I do remember the nurse bringing me a drink which was before David arrived. Anywho, after some time of waking up, and apparently raving about how wonderful the hospital was compared to my last hospital visit, we were on our way! We headed to Moe's for lunch to pig out. After not eating for well over 12 hours I was in desperate need of some food.

Here I am now on the couch where I will be camped out for the foreseeable future. It's a week on crutches and completely off my foot, two weeks out of water, and three weeks until I can wear closed-toed shoes. Bah humbug.

Any shows suggestions on Netflix or HuluPlus??


  1. All things considered, just look at that lovely pedicure you have!! Good get to be waited on hand and foot for a few days, you lucky girl!! Let me know if I can help in any way....and listen to the doctors...

  2. I hope you heal super quickly!! =)

  3. If you haven't seen How I Met Your Mother, it is addictive!

  4. Oh my goodness! Glad you are ok!

    Jsut find a season of something new and go for it! :)

  5. Boy oh boy! That is crazy, but good you got it all done with. The only thing I do appreciate having sick days is being able to lay on the couch and watch movies! There is good in it! lol I would absolutely suggest you get caught up on Jane by Design. I don't know if that is your kind of series, but it has grown on me. Something a little more edgy, you can always go with Criminal Minds or Law and Order SVU. Get better soon!